Monday, July 12, 2010

The Cloth You're Cut From


One of the themes that has been constant in my journey here is that I have been surrounded by people I care about who have not had the most ideal of upbringings.  Those who were neglected, abused, abandoned, and the like.  Those who were powerless and taken advantage of.  Those who were not protected when they should have been by those who supposedly loved them.  Those who carry with them the burdens of their pasts.  This is not the cloth I was cut from.  So, why is it I'm surrounded by these people?  What can I do to help them?  Why did the universe bring us together?  I have also noticed that resources about these subjects have fallen into my life, I have met people and learned things that are beneficial to these people I share this journey with.  As such, I would like to share one of these people and her resources here.

Dr. Mary Beth Williams
"Dr. Mary Beth Williams is in private practice in Warrenton, Virginia. She is an instructor for ICISF and teaches Ethics for Traumatologists. She is also a trained trainer dealing with school crisis. A former school social worker, Dr. Williams developed and managed a crisis team for many years. Dr. Williams has written/co-written/edited numerous books and chapters relating to trauma including K-12 school crisis team (not crisis team alone), The PTSD Workbook (New Harbinger 2002) and Life after Trauma: A Workbook for Healing (Rosenbloom & Williams, 1999, GUilford Press), among others. Dr. Williams also is a forensic practitioner and has worked at all levels of local, state, and federal courts including mitigation in death row cases in Virginia. She has trained both nationally and internationally including Kazakhstan where she was the first American to present trauma-oriented training to various organizations while she was in-country to adopt her daughters. Dr. Williams is also the mental health consultant for the EPA's Peer Support CISM team."

I met Ms. Williams via my old job in the legal profession as a Paralegal working on various cases.  I valued her insight so much that when my step-daughter needed a new counselor I brought her into our personal lives.  I simply cannot say enough good things about her, her teachings, her books, etc.  I have purchased numerous copies of her workbook for people I care about.  http://www.amazon.com/PTSD-Workbook-Effective-Techniques-Overcoming/dp/1572242825/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a

Her upcoming book "Trauma and the Post-Institutionalized Child" is beneficial for those families who are adopting or caring for children who have not had the most ideal of upbringings.  An excerpt from the book can be found at http://www.giftfromwithin.org/html/child.html

Copyright ©2010 Nita Clewis All rights reserved.
For personal use only. Commercial use without permission is not allowed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment